Blackout - Final sequence

Thursday, April 1, 2010



Friday, March 26, 2010


Here is a few images of come of technologies we used:

Thursday, March 25, 2010


Here are some pictures of our edit suite:

  • We used Adobe Premiere Pro to edit our film sequence...

We then exported our finished film to youtube...
 There are also two other films which we created to go with this project:
  • A 'Behind the Scenes' video
  • An 'Errors' video
        Both of these bonus videos are also on youtube.
Here is Hugh (on St. Patricks Day) on the Latymermedia youtube channel...

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Poster for BLACKOUT:

I, Tom A, decided that after collecting many screenshots for my evaluation, that I could attempt to create a poster for our film using them. So I did. Realising however that not all the information that goes on a film poster was in our opening sequence...

Still, here is my attempt...

I chose a screenshot which really showed off the fast paced action side of our film, and used black and white and an increased contrast to place the titles in the top left of the poster. 

Monday, March 22, 2010

Real Opening credits:

Below are examples of films which have their opening credits like ours, creating an atmosphere of suspense and anticipation for the film, helped by the main soundtrack...

(unfortunately the embed option for the video has been disabled, so I will post some screenshots instead.)

Teacher Feedback: The Final Cut

We were very pleased with the feedback we received from our teachers. They all were really impressed by what we had managed to acheive.

  • The new fight scene worked well, with the 'bad guy' looking more professional and less like a thug!
  • Continuity works perfectly with no very noticable flaws.
  • The camerawork is imersive and lively, with handheld techniques giving it a raw quality.
  • The editing is fast paced and action packed, but also thrilling and suspense-filled.
  • The acting is really professional and makes the narative really dramatic and scary!
  • The music works brilliantly with the picture and helps build suspense.
  • The titles at the beginning and end make the final product look very professional.
  • The fade to white at the end cleary indicates to the audience that the film is about to begin.

Final Titles

We originally wanted to track our titles onto surfaces using Adobe After Effects (as below), so that it appeared the titles were layered onto surfaces, but found it was difficult for a number of reasons:

  • There weren't enough shots that were long enough to have a title in it, and we didn't want to have the same title in consective shots.

  • There weren't enough suitable tracking points in many of the shots, and many of the shots are handheld so the shot moves too irregularly to track effectively.

  • The process is very time consuming, and we didn't have that much time.
After much discussion we finally ended up putting our titles before and after the sequence itself. This was for many reasons. Firstly we felt that it allowed suspense to build up before the sequence started itself. The opening sequence now cuts from titles straight into fast paced action which is very effective in delivering a shock to the audience.

 Secondly we didnt want to take away from the quality of the sequence itself. When placing titles in the sequence we felt it distracted the viewer away frrom the suspense of the sequence itself.

We were influenced to have these titles at the begining and end from many films such as The Bourne Supremacy which is a very similar genre to ours and then also a Monty Python film which although different in genre uses the titles very successfully.